- Produce a list of at least six books the Cub has read in the previous year. Name the authors and be able to tell the examiner about the stories from three of the books, each by different authors.
- Read aloud a simple piece of prose or poetry chosen by the examiner.
- Show that he understands how to care for books and make a dust cover and entitle it neatly.
- Show the use of a dictionary, index and contents page.
- Be able to use the Dewey system of cataloguing and be able to catalogue in alphabetical order using authors names.