- Take part in at least six trips to at least two different cave systems, three of these trips should include sections involving supervised decent of vertical pitches. Each visit must be as a member of a properly led group. Keep a record of these trips and the routes followed.
- Explain how caves are formed.
- Rig and use ladder pitch under supervision.
- Know the cave conservation code and discuss measures that can be taken to promote conservation of formations and the cave environment.
- Study an aspect of speleology agreed beforehand and discuss the findings. Examples might be the fauna and flora found in caves, cave photography or bat conservation.