New to hiking and expeditions? Please sign up to the training course.
Lots of experience? Please sign up for the assessment weekend.
Did you do your SoH course > 5 yrs ago? You’re welcome to come back on the training or assessment weekend to refresh your skills, whether or not you have done your assessment.
Do you have a Summer ML? Would you be interested in helping on either weekend?
Leaders attend a weekend of training in a hill environment, followed by consolidation and the logging of experience in the hills and then a weekend assessment which includes writing route cards, and an expedition including a night of wild camping, carrying full kit. The course and assessment are run free of charge.
The next course will be run 22nd – 24th October in the Cheviot Hills (Northumberland), with an assessment 29th – 31st October. Unless you are very confident in your skills, we wouldn’t expect you to be doing both this year! You could come on the course to refresh skills before the assessment though. Exact location to be confirmed depending on the number of candidates. (I am hoping to get more leaders trained to run and assess SoH so we can run it in more locations, and more often).
The training aligns with the MLTE Hill & Moorland Leader qualification, with Expedition Skills module, and includes:
- group management and the responsibility of a group leader
- Navigation (e.g. timing, pacing, micro and macro navigation)
- Access and environment
- Hazards and emergency procedures
- Food and Cooking
- Training and supervision of an expedition group
- Planning and leading an expedition group
The SoH qualification allows leaders to:
- plan and supervise hikes and expeditions at Terrain One level (MLTE Hill & Moorland level)
- sign off First Class Hikes at Terrain One level (MLTE Hill & Moorland level)
- accompany hikes in Terrain One level (MLTE Hill & Moorland level) for all sections
If you would like to discuss the course or assessment, Ninette can meet at 7pm on 29th September via a zoom call. Let me know if you’d be interested in this, or just e-mail any questions over or give me a call.
Further details will be sent to you if you sign up for the course or assessment. The B-PSA pay the course fees. Negative lateral flow tests will be required to come on the weekends.
Please respond by Sunday 3rd October;