- Pass or have passed the Canoeist Badge.
- Demonstrate efficient forward, backward and sideward paddling.
- Know and demonstrate how to prevent a capsize.
- Capsize a canoe and self-rescue
- Peer Rescue; Rescue a capsized canoeist, empty their boat and help them back into their boat safely. (Note: Candidates to participate as both rescuing and capsized parties in turn)
- Stow a canoe with kit for 2 days' journey.
- Make a 24-hour journey, camp overnight and keep a log.
N.B. – All canoeing to be supervised by qualified BCU Coach.