- Demonstrate methods of packing and carrying a complete hiking kit for a 24-hrs. Be prepared to justify his choice of kit.
- Take part in 3 hikes, during each of which kit is carried and the Scout sleeps out, distance of 2 hikes to be at least 16 km each; distance of the other to be not less than 48 km, with 2 nights camping out. Logs of high standard to be produced.
- Select a route for a 24 km hike from a 1:25 000 or 1:50 000 O.S. map, not necessarily of his own district, giving reasons for his choice of route.
- From a map select 3 areas of 1 km square, approximately, where a good hike camp site should be possible, giving reasons for choice of the areas.
- Make an article of hiking kit, such as tent, sleeping bag, camp fire blanket, rucksack, or a bag or other container in which to pack billy, food or toilet necessities, etc.
- Show a knowledge of personal hygiene and the care of feet and footgear.
Note: This badge is a requirement for the Senior Explorer Badge.