- Pass or have passed the Oarsman badge.
- Show a knowledge of different types of local craft.
- Point out and name parts and uses of sails, running and standing rigging, masts and spars for ketch, yawl, and cutter type of sailing craft.
- Be able to sail a boat and be able to tack, wear, reef, make and shorten sail and be able to get under way and come alongside with the wind from any reasonable direction. Anchor correctly and be able to sail up to and make fast to a buoy.
- Make and use a sea anchor.
- Show how to leave a sailing craft with all sails and gear properly stowed.
- Discuss the rules of the road, at sea.