- Know the different kinds of canvas, use a palm and needle, make a cringle, sew a flat and round seam, herringbone and make small repairs to sails.
- Make an eye-splice in rope.
- Overhaul and repair a set of standing rigging in rope or cordage or an open sailing boat.
- Be able to worm, parcel and serve, and make the following:
Turk's Head, 2 kinds of sennit, long splice, chain splice, and be able to point a rope (any method) and apply West Country and Sailmaker's Whipping.
- Know the different types of purchase tackle and rig a handy-billy.
- Make a kitbag or similar article in canvas.
- Be proficient in pulling boat, or kayak, or sailing dinghy