- Have a knowledge of 1 of the periods in human history (e.g. Palaeolithic, Mesolithic, Neolithic) and know something of 1 of the cultures of the people of the period chosen.
- Draw a sketch map to scale of 1 of the British prehistoric sites.
- Understand the value of conservation and reconstruction of antiquities.
- Know the dangers of digging for antiquities by untrained people and the importance of accurate records.
- Produce a log with sketches and/or photographs of a "dig" he has assisted with; or a survey he has made of a site which has produced items of archaeological interest.