- Have a seat independent of the reins and be able to maintain the correct seat position of the hands. Have control of the pony or horse, with a knowledge of the correct side in elementary movements i.e Turns on the move, circles, increase and decrease of pace. Be able to jump low fences.
- Know the essential grooming kit and its use.
- Be capable of saddling, bridling and rugging up.
- Have an elementary understanding of the care and cleaning of saddlery.
- Have an elementary understanding of feeding, watering and cleanliness of the horse.
- Have a knowledge of the care and working of a pony or horse off grass.
- Recognise a loose or worn shoe, risen clench, excessively long foot and know what action to take.
- Know the points of a horse.
Note: The holder of a Pony Club Standard C certificate qualifies for this badge.