1. Bring a letter to say that you have prepared, cooked and served a complete dinner and cleared away afterwards.
2. Be able to cook at least one dish from sections a-e at the choice of the Examiner .
a. Boiling: Soup, Potatoes, Fresh vegetables, Porridge, Custard, Blancmange
b. Steaming: Puddings, Suet mixture, Suet crust, Plain cake mixture.
c. Stewing: Meat, Fruit.
d. Baking: Pastry, Milk Puddings, Scones, Rock buns or equivalent, Plain cakes,
e. Frying and Grilling: Sausages, Bacon, Eggs, Herring or other fish in shallow fat.
3. Make tea, coffee and cocoa.
4. Wash up the utensils from the test and have a good knowledge of how to store, prepare and serve foodstuffs safely and of kitchen and personal hygiene requirements..
5. Lay a table.
- Answer questions on food and the dishes just prepared.
- Have a knowledge of the prices of the materials used.
- Understand why special care is necessary when cooking vegetables and how their nutritional values may be most easily conserved.