- Make a log of at least three fishing expeditions, keeping records of the species of fish caught and their weight.
- Have a knowledge of the fish that inhabit the waters of a locality.
- Know the rules concerning the close season and the size of the fish allowed to be taken.
- Demonstrate how to fit up a rod, line and casts.
- Know the size of hooks most suitable and show a knowledge of bait. Demonstrate the correct way to use a landing net.
- Make a float.
- Know the Water Safety Rules and understand the dangers of wading, crumbling banks and slippery rocks