1. Learn about aero-logistics, how a wing gives lift and the importance of ‘CG’.
2. Learn about the different control surfaces on a fixed wing aircraft.
3. Build a model aircraft using modern build materials. It will ideally meet the following flight performances:
4. Fly an RC model drone or helicopter to a flight path designed by a mentor.
5. Talk about the experience of building and flying your model and flying an RC model with a knowledgeable adult.
To be carried out in 3 to 4 sessions
1. First session
Presentation of aeronautical design and how different elements affect flight, followed by a short video of flight logistics, then a Q&A session to gauge the understanding of those taking part. Finishing with some ‘hands-on’ entertaining paper-plane activity which will also identify understanding of flight design.
2. Second session
3. Third session
Test flight of model(s) and record performance followed by tuition of RC flying a small indoor model quadcopter (drone) or helicopter.
4. Fourth session
Evaluation of previous sessions, RC flying exam and award presentation.