- Know the alphabet in Semaphore or Morse Code, paying special attention to the correct positions of Semaphore and the timings of Morse Code.
- Be able to send and read a short, simple message of ten words; slowly but with eight out of ten correct.
- Demonstrate the specialist signs in ‘Scouting for Boys'. (viz. general answer, numbers, letters and erase).
- Exchange a message by using a ‘secret' code chosen or invented by the Cub.
Or alternatively by signing:
- Know the alphabet and be able to spell your name.
- Know how to gain the attention of a deaf person, and know the simple words for hello, goodbye, please and thank you.
- Know the numbers, colours (e.g. sing a rainbow), various jobs, items of clothing, animals and sing Happy Birthday.
- Be able to answer questions about yourself.
e.g. What is your name?
How old are you?
Do you have brothers or sisters?