1. Understand the basic principles of scaling.
2. Know the principle signs used on a 1:50 000 scale OS map.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of 6 figure map references by identifying at least 5 locations on an OS map by their references.
4. Show an understanding of contour lines by:
a) Constructing a hill from a set of contour lines provided.
b) Making a section drawing through a set of contour lines to show the slopes.
5. Set a map and know how to use a compass.
6. Use the above knowledge to give a description of what you would expect to see along the route on an a 1:50 000 map.
7. Understand and use an A to Z or a road map by giving directions for travelling between two points.
8. Have a basic knowledge of which type of map to use for particular purposes e.g. 1:25 000 or 1:50 000.